Sunday, May 19, 2013

Fixing rattling doors on a 1998 Ford Explorer

The doors and back hatch of my 1998 Ford Explorer had started to rattle and were gradually getting worse. When I checked, the plastic/nylon bushings on the door lock posts had cracked and fallen off - just one of those things with a 15 year old vehicle, I suppose. The back hatch was the worst, but all four doors needed work.

A quick web search (http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9113758/00786) turned up replacement bushings for the rear hatch from Pep Boys, along with a T-50 3/8" square drive bit to remove the lock posts (http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/556958/00786). Total cost was about $10 - no problem. However, the rear door bushings are too big to fit the passenger door lock posts. Searching further, I found that the only way to replace the passenger bushings was to replace the entire door lock post - the bushings aren't sold separately! Way to tag the customer with unnecessary costs, Ford! 

At between $60 and $80 for four new lock posts, I said no way. I took a closer look at the passenger door lock posts - they are about 7/16" o.d., and the bushings (from what I could tell from the remains) are about 9/16" o.d. Checking the local Ace Hardware (Court Hardware in Stafford, TX - great place with great service) I found a couple of options. The closest was some flexible PVC tubing that was 3/8 i.d. and 1/2" o.d. I figured it would stretch to fit, and at $0.39/foot, the price was right even if it didn't work!

The door lock posts have a 3/8" section with a lip where it expands to the full 7/16" diameter for the lock to grab. I used a pair of needle nose pliers to stretch the tubing, and some warm soapy water to lubricate it. With a little bit of effort and some vise grip pliers, I was able to stretch the tubing over the post. Within about 20 minutes, I had all four doors done.

Even if the tubing isn't as durable as the original bushings, for $0.39 I got enough to do all four doors *three* times. Replacing the lock posts would have been close to $80 - not a bad savings.

No comments:

Post a Comment